This page is subject to drastic change over the coming months. It includes the major course sections, and a selection of possible readings/articles for discussion for each section.
0. Review of Synoptic Meteorology
- Applied Hydrometeorology: Chapters 2, 3, 4 (basic atmospheric properties review, if necessary)
- Applied Hydrometeorology: Chapter 5 (Weather Systems, if necessary)
1. Meteorological Ingredients and the Production of Rainfall
- Doswell, Brooks, and Maddox, 1996: Flash flood forecasting: an ingredients-based methodology. WAF, vol. 11, 560-581.
- Maddox, Chappell, and Hoxit, 1979: Synoptic and meso-alpha scale aspects of flash flood events. BAMS, vol. 60, 115-123.
- Shuttleworth, Terrestrial Hydrometeorology, Chs. 10 (Formation of Clouds) & 11 (Formation of Precipitation)
- Lamb, D., 2001: Rain production in convective storms. (Basic mesoscale and microphysical processes)
2. Precipitation Distribution in Mesoscale Weather Systems
- To review for inclusion: COMET Module on Atmospheric Rivers
- To review for inclusion: Mountain Meteorology 8 (Precipitation)
- Applied Hydrometeorology: Chapter 7 (Tropical Storms and Hurricanes)
3. Interactions of Meteorology and Hydrology during Flood Events
- To review for inclusion: several COMET Modules on Flash Flood Processes, Snowmelt Processes, Runoff Processes, Streamflow Routing
4. Quantitative Precipitation Forecasts (QPF)
- Verification of Quantitative Precipitation Reforecasts over the Southeastern United States
- Extreme Quantitative Precipitation Forecast Performance at the Weather Prediction Center from 2001 to 2011
- Lackmann, Chapter 11.3.2 on Precipitation Forecasting
5. Hydrometeorological Observing and Measurement Systems
- Kidd, C., A. Becker, G. Huffman, and others, 2017: So, how much of the Earth’s surface is covered by rain gauges? BAMS, January 2017, 69-78.
- Belfort website on wind deflectors and accuracy
- To review for inclusion: COMET Module on Precipitation Estimates (multi-part)
- To review for inclusion: Applied Hydrometeorology Chapter 9 (Precipitation and its Measurement)
6. Polarimetric Radar Measurements of Precipitation; QPE
- To review for inclusion: Chapter 8 of Doviak. Drop size distributions, single- and dual-pol-parameter QPE
- To review for inclusion: Hong and Gourley, Radar Hydrology, Chapters 2 and 3